I use lean turkey mince as a low fat option and make a really quick tomato sauce that (in my opinion) tastes waaaaay better than most readymade jar sauces. I then serve it with courgetti which can be made and cooked in minutes.
500g turkey mince (you can also use lean beef steak mince).
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 onion finely diced
1 carrot peeled and finely diced
1 stick of celery finely chopped
Handful of sliced mushrooms
2 cloves of chopped garlic
1 teaspoon of chopped basil
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon of gravy granules (optional)
Shake of Worcester sauce
Salt and pepper to season
Coconut oil for cooking
2 large courgettes spiralized
1. Heat your pan on a medium heat and lightly brown your mince in the coconut oil.
2. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and fry for another few minutes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, herbs and other ingredients, reduce to a low heat and simmer for around 15 mins stirring occasionally.
4. Spiralize two large courgettes and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Serve the Bolognese on top of the courgetti with a little grated parmesan.
– You can leave out the carrot and celery if you don’t have them (technically it then becomes more of a Ragu than a Bolognese but I won’t tell!)
– You can swap the courgetti for wholewheat spaghetti
Do you have a favourite recipe for Spaghetti Bolognese? I’d love to hear your tips!